Friday, February 29, 2008

Winding Yarn

How many "wads" of yarn does a sane person hand wind before a swift and ball winder become a necessity? Most of the yarn that I have purchased to this point has been in lovely pre-wound skeins -- but I have recently become the owner of some lovely hand dyed yarns. It's so much yummier to knit with, but must first be wound into usable balls.

Winding yarn into a ball involves finding something or someone to hold the yarn while I wind it into a ball. My children's wooden rocking chair has "hands" that I can use, but it is still a very time consuming process. And, rolling a center pull ball is never a pretty process.

I've still got two more skeins to wind, but if I get anymore, a swift and ball winder may just become the perfect anniversary (or mother's day, or happy festivus) present.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you on that. I just winded a hank of Cascade 220 last week and I need to make the investment on a ball winder. My knees would appreciate it ;)

Karen said...

There is a sort of easy way to make a center pull ball... Using a tp roll (the empty center) or a paper towel tube cut to size, make a slit in on end about an inch long. Tuck the starting end of yarn in the slit and wind away... when you are done, slide the yarn off the tube, making sure not to lose the yarn from the slit as that will be your center pull.

SimplyMe said...

Amen to that!!

I talked my bil into making a swift out of dowel rods,....1 x 2s (I think), and a center that spins on a screw. I love it. Now, I just have to bite the bullet and buy the winder. Now, we both know that I'll be much happier with hank yarn when I do. May you find both in your life soon!