Thursday, March 20, 2008

I wanna dye

When I first took the sock knitting plunge I found self striping yarn and was smitten. How could you not love yarn that magically created beautiful stripe patterns with absolutely no work at all!

Then I discovered lace sock knitting and since self striping yarn doesn't show the pattern at all, I moved on to solid colors. Beautiful, but a bit boring.

Then, through luck, I won some beautiful hand dyed yarn from Anni and my journey into fancy yarn began. It is so much fun to see colors you love and watch them emerge as you knit the yarn. The very mild amount of striping (colors seem to change every row), and colors you can't find in commercial yarn make it a treat to use.

Even though I have enough yarn to knit socks for the state, I've been looking for something. Just the right colors, just the right yarn.....

Next logical step seemed to be to learn how to dye my own yarn. Today I took the plunge and ordered some undyed yarn and am excited to give it a go. Of course, if I love dying, then I know that next I'll be learning to spin. And if I learn to spin, I'll want to shear my own wool. You get the picture.

I always knew I liked If You Give a Mouse a Cookie!

No comments: